Thursday, May 19, 2016

Walking the circuit

Arles has a lot of historical lines running through it.  The city maps out various theme routes to follow:  Antique, Medievale, Renaissance et Classique, and Van Gogh.  Over the last couple of years, I've been visiting sites on the Van Gogh Circuit -- places where he painted.  Of the 12 sites on this circuit, I had been to nine of them prior to this year.  So I set out to visit more.

The circuit is occasionally indicated on sidewalks by the insertion of the official marker.

The Van Gogh sites

The circuit marker

Sidewalk marker

Most of the sights have mounted signage featuring a print of the painting that was created at that site.

Signage for the yellow house

Signage for the arena

However, today, I set out looking for site 6: vieux moulin.  I followed the map as closely as possible, and walked up and down several blocks in the vicinity of the site marked on the map, and I found two sidewalk markers nearby, pointing in opposite directions, but no signage with a print.  I knew that vieux moulin meant old windmill.  By the time I started up the stairs to walk back over the railroad tracks, I realized that the round tower across from the stairs was probably the remains of the windmill.  So here is what remains of the old windmill.  Now, I'm wondering what Van Gogh's painting looked like.




And here is the answer, via Alaska (merci, ma soeur).


A week or so ago, I walked to another site on the circuit, number 2: L'escalier du Pont de Trinquetaille (the stairs of the Trinquetaille Bridge).



1 comment:

  1. I found a copy of the windmill painting...it looks very much like your first picture. check your email

    ReplyDelete