Sunday, May 28, 2017

Two churches

Today is dimanche, Sunday, so I decided to walk to two nearby churches to take photos.  The first is a church that I had never seen before.  I found it on a map, in the Roquette district of Arles, and had to follow several short, narrow, winding roads carefully to find it.  It is called Eglise Saint-Cesaire.  I spied it's tower from behind, and continued walking until I was facing the front of the church.  It appears that this church is not as vibrant as it might have been in the past.  Construction on this gothic structure began in 1450.

The tower

The front of the church

This is the only view that I could get with the tower and the front of the church

The other church is quite famous, is located on a major square, and is on every historical walking tour of Arles.  L'Eglise de Saint-Trophime dates back to the 12th century.  It is located on the Place de la Republique.  This church is quite vibrant with regular services, and lots of tourists streaming through. The carvings around the giant doors to this church are incredibly intricate.


Carvings around the door




No comments:

Post a Comment