Friday, February 5, 2016

Reef creature du jour

Today, I happened to catch a glimpse of something moving beneath a round sponge, at a depth of 15 feet.  It was virtually impossible for me to identify exactly what it was, so I hoped that my camera would be able to focus on it.

Once out of the water, I tried to look it up.  I figured that it was probably a mantis shrimp, but the edition of Reef Creature Identification that we have didn't include this species.  After checking a newer edition and several photos available online, I believe this is a ciliated false squilla.

This little mantis shrimp was about 2 inches long.  It kept moving in and out of its burrow, and seemed to be doing "housekeeping."

Shrimp heading left, with tail end in burrow.

Shrimp looking at the camera, with its checkerboard eyes.

Heading to the left, again.

A view of more of its body as it moves to the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment