Sunday, May 6, 2018

Looking at the skyline

This afternoon, as I was walking around Arles, I saw a church that I hadn't ever paid attention to.  From a distance, I could see a nice steeple, but close up, it wasn't visible.  So, I decided to climb to the top level of a nearby parking structure and look for the top of the church in the skyline.

The church was the Chapelle de la Charite, built in the 18th century.

Front view of Chapelle de la Charite

Tower of Chapelle de la Charite (viewed to the west)
There were other lovely old buildings in the view to the north.





But the view to the east was pretty incongruous.  This tower, which is still under construction, was designed by Frank Gehry.  It's only apparent connection to the architecture of Arles may be the blue rectangles that mimic the blue shutters that we see on many buildings in town.




No comments:

Post a Comment