Thursday, January 28, 2016

Squid

This morning, we encountered a pair of Caribbean reef squid that let us approach them.  Some years they have seemed to be more abundant.  Squid are really beautiful creatures, even when they don't perform some amazing color change or squirt their ink and disappear.  Although this species can reach 12 inches in length, the body of this squid was about 6 inches.  The photos were taken at a depth of 20 feet.



A predator appears to have taken a bite off the end of one tentacle.


As a bonus, I'm including a photo that I took on the same dive, at about 50 feet, of a fast moving cero, a type of mackerel, that I caught a glimpse of (over my shoulder) before it swam past me.  It was about 2 feet long, and I had never seen one before.  I thought that it might be a wahoo.  Between the time that I pressed the shutter and the camera took the photo, the cero's head had moved out of the frame, but the body details were sufficient to identify the fish.  So close to a nice photo!


No comments:

Post a Comment