Friday, January 19, 2024

Surf and turf, more or less

We went snorkeling today.  The visibility was pretty limited, so I don't have a big selection of lovely underwater photos to share.  Instead, I will share a few photos of one lagoon triggerfish (the surf portion of this post) and one flower that is blooming along our driveway (the turf portion).

Surf:  The lagoon triggerfish is one of two triggerfish to share the Hawaiian name humuhumu nukunuku apua'a (made famous years ago by lyrics in the song "My Little Grass Shack."  The blue bands that run between the eyes, across the forehead are a gorgeous shade of blue.  This fish was about 10 inches long.



Turf:  The first time that I saw this flower, I was convinced that it must be synthetic.  To me, the blue looks unreal and out of place with the surrounding vegetation.  It is the jade vine, a woody vine endemic to the Phillipines.  The flower cluster is nearly 2 feet long.




No comments:

Post a Comment