Saturday, February 2, 2013

Spotted spiny lobster

This morning, on our dive, I found a spotted spiny lobster hiding in a recess in the reef, at about 50 feet.  While I sometimes look for lobsters, today, I was trying to take a photo of a sponge, and happened to see the lobster in the process.  This lobster was about 8 inches long. If you look closely, this lobster is quite colorful.




After viewing our video of this lobster, we realized that it is a female with eggs attached under her tail (see below).


And just a note of explanation:  To post this entry, I'm sitting outside, after dark, covered with mosquito repellent because the Internet access in our condo complex is horrible, and the wifi hot spot at our dive shop is great.



1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite sea creatures are the seahorses Jill! They are so pretty to look at and seem so magical but the photos of the female spiny lobster is way cool and so brightly colored too.

    Great photos Jill...

    Fran

    ReplyDelete