Sunday, January 30, 2011

White-spotted Filefish





One of the fascinating fish that we regularly encounter on our dives, the white-spotted filefish moves slowly, and if we don't move too quickly, it can be closely approached. And just to keep things interesting, as a result of multiple color phases, they don't always display white spots.

Today, I watched one filefish flipping its file up and down to maneuver in close quarters. The file, which is really the first spine of their dorsal fin, acts something like a rudder, enabling them to turn.

The bottom photo shows a white-spotted phase of the white-spotted filefish. The next 2 photos show the file up and down. The top photo shows an orange-phase white-spotted filefish.

1 comment:

  1. Jill: I want to thank you for your post about the white-spotted Filefish and let you know that even after 7 years, your blogpost is still a delight to those of us who love travel and adventure. Today, in Cozumel, Mexico, we saw two fish together that looked like identical twin filefish, except one was orange and the other black with white spots. Our small fish book only showed the orange phase and said nothing about the white-spotted phase. I Googled white-spotted filefish and the first two entries talked about filefish but showed pictures of a smooth trunkfish! I knew that was wrong. So I was delighted when I read your post. You have provided my "new fact for today"! Thanks so much. Tonight, after we return from the Cozumel beach, I will read more of your blog. I traveled around the work as a film maker and communicator for New Mexico State University. But after 44 years on the faculty, I think it's time to travel to places I want to visit! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete