Tuesday, October 12, 2010

On foraging





Last Sunday, after the rain stopped, I set out searching for some of the riches that the rain provides, that is, I went hunting for edible mushrooms. After hiking around in the woods for a couple of hours, I was quite satisfied to come home with about 3 pounds of chanterelles, and 4 king boletes. On my hike, I saw and heard many flocks of Canada geese as they flew south, high above me.

Because wild huckleberries are ripe now as well, I filled a small bag with berries that I picked along the mushroom trail.

However, in both cases, the best pickings were in my own yard. When I returned home from my foraging trip, I found a lovely king bolete, in nearly perfect condition, under one of our trees. For several years, I have been spreading the spore sponges of the king boletes that I bring home under our trees. And am always happy to reap what I have sowed.

We have many wild huckleberry plants growing in our yard, and we plan to pick them this week. It's a great season for eating wild things along the Oregon coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment