Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Morning in the mountains






During our stay at Odell Lake, each morning, the fisherman got up early to fish. Some days he fished for the super-abundant, but still wily, kokanee, which are land-locked sockeye salmon (bottom photo). Other mornings, Bori fished for Mackinaw, which is also known as lake trout. He caught a 20-pound Mackinaw one morning (see photo). And yes, Mackinaw grow that large by eating kokanee.

While Bori fished, I generally went out walking/hiking through the woods, or up the road, and often took my camera to capture flora and fauna. As this is the beaver state, I always look for fresh beaver chews (middle photo). I also look for dippers, one of my favorite birds. They are gray, about the size of a robin, and can walk underwater looking for prey (next to top photo). This year, we didn't see as many mergansers (a diving duck) as in past years, but I always enjoy seeing them (top photo).

1 comment:

  1. hey Bori!!!! come fishing on Vancouver Island... come visit!!!!

    ReplyDelete