Saturday, June 1, 2024

Samedi

Saturday is usually dominated by being the big market day.  But today, once the market cleared out, all kinds of other things were happening.

I was walking through the Place de la République and noticed that lots of people seemed to be quite dressed up.  As the Hotel de Ville (City Hall) and a huge church open onto the Place, we have occasionally seen wedding parties there.

Today, after hearing a cheer, I watched the young bride and groom come out of City Hall and pose for photos.

As I turned around, I discovered a different generation that was all dressed up: older people in Arlesian dress from the 19th century.  Men in top hats and tails and women in their long skirts.



We are leaving soon, and I will definitely miss the eclectic mix of sights on my walks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment